A brief history of the sawmills
James Davies is based at Abercych in the beautiful Teifi valley. It’s a community with a long history as a woodworking centre - in the 19th Century most of the village’s families were involved in making wooden bowls, spoons and stools from local sycamore and ash.
The Davies family’s workshop in the village was in operation in the late 1800s using water-power to produce turned wood products. By the 1930s a visiting journalist found James Davies, the current director’s great-grandfather, producing high-quality items such as shovel and axe handles for use in the mining industry.
The company was incorporated in 1953 when it relocated to its current site on the banks of the River Teifi. Today the business is managed by Quinton Davies and employs 34 local people.